Visit 20 Something Bloggers

Monday, June 18, 2012

Your alumni network - the gift that never stops giving

Today I had coffee with an intern who is spending the summer at my company as an MBA intern. She was a few years older than me in college but I had recognized her at a welcome lunch and decided it would be nice to catch up with her to hear about her experience and share my background with her. As I was chatting with her, I realized how I had subconsciously name dropped several other alumni who work at our company. It's funny how I automatically had started networking as soon as I began working at both my previous employer and my current employer. I basically just searched all the alumni who work at my company and reached out to them individually to schedule informal meet and greets. In today's economy, when the competition is fierce, it's so important to be able to build relationships and create connections. I constantly give that advice to new graduates because it can be a huge help when you are trying to find a job. It's also great to be able to meet people in other divisions within your workplace. This allows you to broaden your internal network and although it's always best to do it first hand by joining group activities or volunteering etc. it is wonderful to be able to tap your alumni network. So don't forget to attend those basketball games and networking receptions your school holds, because it truly is the gift that keeps giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment